Steam Punk is an art form featuring images of industrialized steam powered machinery. Victorian Steam Punk features gears and cogs. American West Steam Punk features trains. The fictional inventions of Jules Verne conjure up images of Steam Punk. Western Steam Punk can be seen in the movie, “Wild, Wild West” with Will Smith and Kevin Kline. The Sherlock Holmes movies with Robert Downey Jr. also features Steam Punk contraptions.
Using the Garage Gears Thinlits Dies is an easy way to create a steam punk- themed card.
This is also great for a masculine-themed card!
1. Emboss 3” x 4” copper foil using the Big Shot, Big Shot Embossing Mats, and Garage Gears Thinlits Die.
Here is a photo of how I placed the gears on the copper foil:
The sandwich for embossing using the embossing mats is: Platform on Tab 1, clear cutting plate, blue embossing mat, card stock, thinlit face down, white embossing plate. You can also place a card stock shim underneath the clear cutting plate to help with the embossing. Run through a couple of times to get a good embossed image.
2. Sponge Merry Merlot ink on the embossed image. Heat emboss using the heat tool and clear embossing powder.
3. Cut the copper foil into 1” strips. Stamp the dots from Waterfront on the embossed image. Heat emboss using the heat tool and black embossing powder.
4. Dab the edges of the strips in the Versamark. Heat emboss parts using copper embossing powder. Heat other parts using black embossing powder.
5. Layer strips to 1 1/8” x 4 1/8” Basic Black matting.
6. Stamp greeting from Country Road on the bottom of the Very Vanilla card base using Basic Black ink.
7. Attach to Basic Black card base. Attach embossed strips using Dimensionals to pop them up.
Optional: Attach Very Vanilla card stock to inside of card. Cut gears out of scrap pieces of copper foil or Basic Black card stock. Dab pieces in Versamark and heat emboss using either black or copper embossing powder. Attach to the inside of the card.
Tip: You are adding a lot of heat to the copper foil with the embossing steps. The plastic backing on the foil paper may start to peel away. Simply trim it off. If you have trouble with the SNAIL adhesive sticking to the back of the foil, try using Tombow Multi-purpose Glue or Fine Tip Glue.
Stamp Set: Waterfront, Country Road
Ink: Versamark, Memento Black, Merry Merlot
Paper: Basic Black, Very Vanilla, Copper Foil
Accessories: Big Shot, Garage Gears Thinlits Die, Big Shot Embossing Mats, heat tool, clear, black and copper embossing powder, sponge, Dimensionals